Sunday, October 19, 2008

What Stands Behind Me

I’m getting ready to leave the Cape and head home. Looking forward to seeing John and to being warm—it was cold here last night and a propane heater doesn’t quite cut it below 50 degrees. I went to the 6:30 am AA meeting today and gave hugs and got phone numbers. I see the gift of the AA community anywhere in the world. I am part of a community and there is this legacy of recovery behind me and millions of people who are willing to help another recovering person. I felt it today.

I have a community here to return to no matter what happens to John or between me and John. I’m touched by so many of these people that I have known only on vacation. Amy laughing about seeing Madonna in Boston last week. James, a chef, sober one week, and I got to hear him every morning of his first week and hear about using yogurt to marinate lamb (the enzymes in yogurt break down the tough fibers and make the lamb extra tender). Doug and Jay who share 22 years with me.

I lost so many people in my life and I especially miss my brothers. But look what I have even here at the Cape: James and Jay and Doug. Sober brothers and a huge recovery family standing behind me. All I need to do is ask.

No comments: