Friday, October 17, 2008

Waiting for Crumbs

I take my donut and my coffee to the beach each morning. I sit on a log and eat and pray and listen to the ocean. I’m alone on the beach and that is one of the miracles. One of the most popular beaches in the world and I am alone. Yes, there is a God.

When I’m sitting on the beach eating my donut the seagulls arrive. They stand a few yards away and look around occasionally glancing at me. They try to look nonchalant but they are waiting for the crumbs. Sometimes I’ll toss them a bit of my donut but usually they have to wait until I am done and then they come for the crumbs that have fallen on the sand.

I do not want to be like one of these gulls. I do not want to stand just off to the side waiting, acting like I am casual and unaffected, but hoping for crumbs.

No comments: