Thursday, October 2, 2008

Playing with Clothes

One of the tips that caregivers receive is to do one thing each day that is just for fun. Stay connected to the things that give you joy. They often mention massages, and pedicures and always, always bubble baths. I tried all of those but a manicure isn’t fun. It's just maintenance. And a bubble bath is too much like those dam smoothies. It has the ring of platitude to it.

What is fun for me is playing with clothes. I love fabric, fashion, design and color. Maybe a leftover from Barbie and paper dolls? Or maybe I loved Barbie and paper dolls because this love of line and design was already there when I was very young. Recently I have been making clothes from clothes. This weekend I made an empire style top by inserting a beautiful scarf thru two small slits in the sides of an old gray tee and then pulling the scarf to the front in a knot. A nice combination of grey knit and Hermes silk. Sexy. And it looks great with jeans.

No comments: