Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vacation Reentry

Home from vacation.

It was a week of eating well (Federal Hill in Providence RI), art (Brown and RISD Museums), books (The Providence Athenaeum, and 20-plus used bookstores across Rhode Island and Massachusetts) and yes, the beaches. Ocean smells and swells for days.

We had fun, we laughed and we talked as we drove. There is something about that side-by-side parallelism in the car that allows intimate conversations. The “what-if” talks and the “do you think…” questions.

But this is where I write about cancer and so I must admit that cancer was with us too. I noticed two brown spots on his thigh. Are they new? Had I not seen these before? There is little real estate of the flesh we don’t know of each other. Are these age spots or melanoma? This kind of thinking is a constant part of love in the time of cancer.

On the long drive we talked about later, the future and when we retire. I participate and enjoy planning the fantasy homes (beach or city or both?) but there is a parallel conversation that runs inside me: Will he be alive next year? Will he be in chemo again? Will the beautiful fabric we bought for our bedroom chairs be a painful reminder? Will I sit on that pale ocean blue and sand beige paisley alone some day remembering when we spotted it in that shop on this vacation?

No comments: