Saturday, November 29, 2008

Starry Starry Night

I went to the Van Gogh exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art. His most famous painting, “Starry Night” was in a room by itself. Sadly, it is impossible to look at Van Gogh painting with out hearing Don McLean on the internal sound track in my head. The song just came. I fought it, then I let it be. There is a cultural collision: painter and song writer; a song about a painter and when we see the painting we hear the song.

Van Gogh said, “When I feel the need for religion I go outside to paint the stars.”

I realized, standing in that gallery, that when I feel the need for faith and consolation I go to art museums. I always find comfort, quiet and reassurance. I am held together by the power of art. If there is not a God then art will save me. But how could there be art if there is not something bigger and even more creative.

No comments: