Monday, November 10, 2008

Heartbreak after Obama

Yesterday I remembered. My husband and I had a bet. We had a deal. It began three years ago. If we were able to see a Democratic president in 2008 he would go to Disneyland with me. He had never been and said he never would. So the deal seemed perfect. He thought the American people were stupid and could never make this happen. Then the campaigns. Our separation. The challenges. Separating our books and belongings. Talking money. Talking politics. But neither of us remembering. The possibilities were so great: the possibility of a Black man as President of the United States. The possibility that we could still be friends. The possibility, then the reality, of having a Democratic president.

Yesterday in the New York Times I saw an ad for a week at Disney World and I remembered. It broke my heart.

No comments: