Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Life's About Learning Not About Knowing

A friend of mine who has been a cancer caregiver a long time has grown very wise from that experience. She has many great pieces of advice and she's also funny--which, I think, is a byproduct of wisdom.

One of my favorite things that she says often that I always hear as new advice is about the right attitude with which to face life and challenges like that ones that come with cancer. She likes to say this:

"Life is not about knowing things. It's about learning things. And if you make learning your template you can ask anybody anything." And then you never have to struggle.

Don't you love that? Simple and purely wise. And the inherent humility in that approach to living. Instead of trying to appear knowledgeable and smart you can be a learner (and be even smarter). You then start to use sentences like:

Can you show me how to do that?

How does that work?

What do I do in this situation?

Who can teach me what I need to get where I want to go?

No comments: