Monday, June 24, 2013

Doing Nothing on the Cape

This was a Cape Cod weekend--a writing respite and a visit to John's mother at the beach. One of my secondary gains in this marriage is acquiring a fascinating mother-in-law--who is eloquent, funny, generous and so active she makes me look lazy. We always have fun when we visit.

This weekend I decided to go 48 hours with no technology--no Internet, no email, no texting etc. The first few hours were hard and then it was lovely. We walked and danced and read and yes, made love with a sense of leisure. I had begun to forget what it's like to feel that you have all the time in the world in bed.

Then on Sunday curled on the couch to read papers I read this terrific article on doing nothing. That's not an easy thing for me to do even on vacation but with this few days of deep leisure and no technology the writers ideas penetrated my head.

Here is the article from The Cape Cod Times. Take a look. Take a chance on nothing.


http://m.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130622/LIFE/306220302/-1/WAP&template=wapart

No comments: