Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stranger Than Fiction

Last night was a great Friday night at home. I stirred up Cajun steak tips and sweet potato fries. Almond Joy ice cream for dessert. And then we watched my all-time favorite movie: “Stranger Than Fiction”. I love, love, love this movie. I watch it at least twice a year and it’s new every time.

“Stranger than Fiction” has the most amazing cast: Emma Thompson, Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Queen Latifah and Dustin Hoffman and it’s about everything: literature and art, careers and creativity, and especially about death and love and taxes. It has one of the funniest pictures of a stuck writer I have ever seen and one of the greatest, most poignant love stories. And it’s about death. Facing death, accepting death. (That’s why I need to talk about it here.)

This movie makes me believe in art, in love, in courage, and in the sweet strangeness of human beings. And in cookies.

Guys: this movie sets the bar for how a man can win a woman’s heart with a gift. And ladies: Maggie Gyllenhaal’s handbag --and her arms, oh, her arms. Makes you want to do pushups over and over and over.

Stranger Than Fiction. It’s on Netflix.

No comments: