Monday, January 26, 2009

What Have You Changed Your Mind About?

I just finished reading this book of really short essays by scientists and social scientists. The title of the book is the question that was posed to this posse of thinkers by Edge.com

The group riffs on linguistics, chaos theory, artificial intelligence and the size of the universe. All of that was pretty interesting but it’s this question:

“What have you changed your mind about?”

and its corollary:

“Who are you willing to change your mind about?” that have me thinking hard.

It’s about humility and imperfection and staying intellectually, emotionally and spiritually humble.

Am I willing to change my mind about this relationship? About my role? About my behavior? About his and hers and theirs? Am I willing to change my mind about “the right thing to do”? Am I willing to change my mind about who gets hurt? Who got hurt? Am I willing to change my mind about God’s will? About cancer and treatments and death and dying? Am I willing to change my mind about love and what real love behaves like? Am I willing to change my mind about what my mind tells me?

No comments: