Wednesday, October 10, 2012

It's a Life

I work for a nonprofit as an advocate for people living in poverty. I write about military mental illness and trauma. I interview vets with PTSD and I write about cancer and caregivers. I also play golf, dance, swim, adore Pilates and yoga, and I love the Pittsburgh Pirates, Steelers and Penguins. And I dance, write fiction, teach writing, and when I get a chance I love to be at a podium to speak about any and all of that stuff.

Even I have to admit that's a lot.

And because I am so grateful that I get to have this life and all of that --that I also complain about --"I'm so busy and so tired and so stressed"--I try to have an active and growing spiritual life. There are days like this one when it's so clear to me that with out the ground of faith under me I would have none of this--my health, my good marriage, John's good humor and support, all the curiosity and fierce energy that I get to bring to my work.

Years ago I came so close to dying.  I saw the light and was almost gone. But I didn't and it never quite made sense. Now it does and I have work to do.

This is part of it.


No comments: