Saturday, June 5, 2010

Why this Blog OR My Moon is in Cancer

I’ve been writing this blog for a while now. Some of you have joined us recently so here’s a hint of what the “Love in the Time of Cancer” conversation is about. At its core “LITTOC” is a relationship story and a love story. Like all good love stories we have a complication: Cancer. Stage three colon cancer and so instead of romantic dates and lunches and vacations we forged a bond over surgery and doctors offices and learning about chemo.

I am lover and caregiver, but I am also a writer and fierce about what is happening to John and to me and to us. I am writing this blog to tell my side of the story. I am not objective. I am not unbiased and at times I am not a very nice person. But then, cancer is not very nice either.

I am also writing this because I hope at least one person can have their sanity confirmed by this blog. Most of the official cancer resources have tried to be helpful but there have been so many gaps and so many platitudes and so very much condescension that I want to give cancer patients --and their lovers --another perspective.

I am also writing this because as Mark Twain said, “I don’t want to hear about the moon from a man who has not been there.” Loving a man with cancer is my moon. Take the next step with me.

(For more detail you can click on older entries from the menu on the right—go to July 2008 and join the story as it continues to unfold.)

No comments: