Sunday, September 7, 2008

Going to a Wedding

Next weekend we are going to a wedding. My friend’s son is getting married and we have been invited. It feels special. The invitation came to us as a couple. That is special. We’ll be attending this grown up and very social affair together. That is special. It turns out that we’ll each know some of the other guests; our worlds intersect at this wedding. That is special.

We talk about someday getting married. I imagine a ceremony on the beach. I have seen a dress that would be splendid for a beach wedding. A peachy ivory lace sheath, knee length that just skims the body. When I saw it in the store I thought, “I could get married in that.” More than once I have thought, “Just buy the dress. Buy the dress so you have it, so you can look at it in the closet and know the day will come.”

But I have also thought, “If he dies that dress will kill me and it will be excruciating to have a wedding dress that was never worn.”

Live in today? Hope for the future? Believe him when he says, “We’ll be married for 20 years.”? Or just be grateful that this week we are a normal couple buying a wedding gift and looking forward to going to a wedding?

No comments: