Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Broken Toe

It’s the little things not the big ones that test my humility and self-concept. I made it through cancer, caregiving and blended family craziness, but last night completely lost it over my little toe.

I broke my toe. I was rushing and turned quickly and tripped over John. (I’ll let my therapist sort out the deeper meaning of that.) I went down howling at the sharp pain but came up sobbing that “I don’t have time for this right now.”

You would think that I have had so many ways in the past few years to learn that life happens when you are making other plans, but my ego insists she will have her way. I’m laughing at myself, and I’m not. I see in this how hard it is to take care of myself, to accept life on life’s terms and to just be human.

No comments: